The York Internship Program provides an extended period of paid work experience that is an integral part of a student’s program of study. After their 3rd year of study, York internship students are employed in settings which provide work experience directly related to their academic programs and career objectives. Internships utilize a flexible structure to integrate university studies with relevant work experience in accordance with the following criteria:
- Each internship is approved by York University as a suitable learning experience.
- The student is engaged in full-time, hands-on work rather than observing, such as job shadowing.
- The student is paid for the work performed.
- The student's internship progress is monitored by York University.
- The student's work performance is supervised and evaluated by the student's employer.
- Co-op students typically alternate work periods with their academic terms for 4 or 8 months. Students are available for co-ops as early as their first year of university.
- Internship students usually complete one consecutive work period of 4, 8, 12 or 16 months in alignment with the academic terms. York students are available for internships after third year,and can be hired throughout the year.
Internship students are 3rd year Honours students majoring in the following programs:
- Business & Society
- Communications Studies
- Economics (including Financial and Business Economics)
- Human Resources Management
- Public Administration
- Information Technology
- Physics & Astronomy
York interns are working at many of Canada's largest and most innovative companies including:
- Bell Mobility
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Tire
- Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO)
- GE Canada
- Hydro One Inc.
- IBM Canada Ltd.
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Natural Resources
- Ontario Power Generation
- Ontario Public Service
- Power Stream
- Royal Bank
- Sanofi Pasteur
- Statistics Canada
- TD Bank
- Toronto Hydro Corporation
- Torys LLP
- Volkswagen Group
Work terms correspond with academic terms; each term is 4 months long and may begin in January, May or September. Students can complete up to 4 work terms consecutively (4, 8, 12 and/or 16 months).
Yes, all York Internship Program internships are paid positions and pay on average $30,000 to $40,000 per year.
Tax credit letters are issued by the Internship Program and emailed to the employer during each qualifying work term.
No, however York offers a number of Experiential Education opportunities to connect students with community partners and employers. For information on ways to connect with other York students and new graduates, please visit the YU Experience Hub website.
Still have questions about the Internship Programs?
Please contact the Employer & Student Liaison.